The Factual Part of the Post:
Today was my first day of school. This doesn't mean too much because I only have one class on Mondays - My robotics sensing and planning course. The professor wasn't there today but his TA lectured. The majority of the research they are doing is marine glider based- AHHHH!!! How awesome!!
It is mainly a group project course. Oh and guess how many girls are in the class :) One other and myself. I haven't met her formally but hopefully she will want to work together.
Saturday night I went out with a friend I made who is in the ME department. We (Kris and I) went out as a group with 3 other students. Let's just say it was an interesting time. Kris and I were not drinking but one of them was a little too heavily. OH TO BE A YOUNG GRADUATE STUDENT! We went to a venue called the Roxy to see a band. The Silent Years (my friends) are going to be playing there Sept 8th!
The Emotional Part of the Post:
I am finding myself rather lonely and bored here even though I have Kris here until tomorrow. It's just tough to find things to do that aren't a huge production. Everything is a far drive, about 10 miles or more. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it takes a long time to get to places. It's really a crippling feeling too knowing that I am going to burn at least 5-7 dollars on gas for each outing (more for parking sometimes). I thought I would be able to ride my bike or take the bus more often.
Things just seem so much easier in Michigan. Places are closer and more freely accessible. I can't imagine being here permanently. There aren't many homes with yards unless you live in the hills and are a plastic surgeon. I can't imagine not having a yard! Not many people have garages. I have no where to play with my car, no where to wash it (a summer favorite of mine). It's actually killing me right now. I am so cooped up inside my place. I can't really sit outside and I am on the first floor so its weird to have my blinds and windows open (people are constantly walking by). I wish I could escape to the beach more easily as well. That is a about a half hour away but the parking can be tricky.
I hope this doesn't sound petty. It will probably get easier once school is in full swing and I can better navigate this city. Right now it is conjuring up these feelings and fears that I might be a boring person and am unable to take advantage of my situation. That might be true, but I am having a hard time changing that. What's even worse about that possible fact is that I set out on this little adventure not only to get my MS, but also to do a little soul searching. So far I feel even more lost than I did before. But, I am trying this new thing called "Being Positive", so I am *CONFIDENT* that I will get there!
Anyway, these should be short and I've exceeded my personal limit. Hope everyone is doing well!
No comments:
Post a Comment