Monday, June 14, 2010

No Subject

I heard an interesting quote not too long ago, I think it was by the CEO of Home Depot. Something along the lines of "No one can reach their full potential without being coached". It has been ringing through my head for several weeks now and at first it made me a little upset, that I possibly couldn't reach my potential on my own and that it would be stupid to go out and get a life coach to follow me around. Then I realized that I do receive a lot of coaching - from my friends, and all the random people I encounter.

The random stranger's/new coworkers feedback is an underestimated feedback tool. If I don't like how I'm being treated, and I get it from several people, I am probably doing something wrong and should figure out what needs to change. However, the best coaching I receive is from a few select friends (males), my significant other included, who are always honest, even if it hurts to hear it. I love that. I used to hate it, but what better way to show you care about someone than holding them accountable for being their best. I'm so lucky. Of course, it would be way creepy if I went out and told them all of this, so I just write about it in my blog.

I propose that we all start holding each other more accountable for being our best. You know your friends the best, and vice versa. It's probably difficult for most people not to sound like they are nagging if they do this, but I bet if we picked our battles wisely it might work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment